Monday, January 17, 2011

The Los Angeles Temple grounds are beautiful especially at Christmas

Lights on a palm trees, different from lights on a pine tree!


Family,
As you can tell, this transfer has turned out to be the refiner's fire! We are working hard and not finding much success, but things will work out eventually. I know that to be true. It may not happen anytime soon, but I know it will happen in one way or another.
California is having a really nice HEAT WAVE at the moment. It is so hot right now! I can't believe it! It feels like summer in Utah (plus some extra smog). The palm trees are waving in the wind, the avacados and mangos are ripening on the trees, people are playing in the parks, the sun is warm, and I'm here riding around in my church clothes! Haha it is really really nice! Alright, that is enough with making everybody jealous.
I have come to really like church here. I liked church before my mission. But while I've been here I've found that church can be a really spiritual experience! I especially like Sacrament meeting, where we get to renew our covenants with God, and in return, he blesses us with the Holy Ghost. Sacrament meeting is a really nice time to recieve revelation as well.
Next week I will be sending an e-mail on Wednesday because it will be temple p-day!
Yesterday we went to visit a member who's daughter is a recent convert. The live in a small, garage sized house in somebody's backyard. The humble mother asked us if we had eaten yet. We didn't have a dinner appointment planned, so she offered to make us dinner. She told us she didn't have much, but she went on to cook for us. She made us eggs with ham. It was really good. I was overwhelmed with the kindness of her and her daughter! They were really nice people. They have less than anybody I can think of, yet they offered us everything they had. We weren't allowed to go into their house because it was just her and her daughter, so we sat outside and ate in the nice weather, then we shared a nice message about service. It is people like that that help me to realize what service and humility are. It was really uplifting to see such a poor person be so generous with what she had. If only everbody could be like this family, think of how happy the world would be. I remember dad would always talk about how service was so important. I never really understood what he meant until I came out here. Serving others is one of the most important things we must do in this life. Blessings are multiplied when we forget ourselves in the service of others, which, in turn, is service to our God. Thanks for that lesson, dad.
Guess what? I got a really nice package from aunt Ronda! It had lots of candy, and a big bag of CIRCUS PEANUTS! I opened them up and put them in my sock drawer, just like grandpa, and I eat one when I put my socks on in the morning. And, she sent me a really awesome family calendar! I put it up on my wall! It is really awesome! Who made it? I like it a lot! So, thanks aunt Ronda!
Well, things are going well. We're working hard and being obedient. And we are just trying to find some people who are ready to accept the gospel! I guess Amanda is married already yeah? That is so crazy! She could be a momma when I come home! One of my Zone Leaders, Elder Chambers, is from KC, and he knows Amanda, Tera, and the guy that Amanda is marrying! He says that he is pretty cool. When is Alesha due?
Well I hope everything is well at home. Things are well here. The church is still true. Jesus Christ is our Savior, and His Atonement is powerful. I love you all! I pray for you, and I know the Lord is blessing you. Que Dios les bendiga!
Love,
Elder R. Watkins

No comments:

Post a Comment