Monday, January 3, 2011

A TRANSFER AND MENUDO!

Family,
So, to start out, we got transfer calls last tuesday night. We first found out that Elder Deleon was getting moved! Then we found out that Elder Doh and I were getting transfered tooo!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!! Our area got flushed, and all three of us got sent to different areas! I was only there for 5 weeks!!! I was really surprised, and all three of us were pretty sad. I really liked Hawthorne. But, guess what?! I went back to the Spanish program!!!!!! I'm really really happy! I'm in an area called North Lynwood. It is about 2 miles north of Compton. Probably about 80% of the people in my area speak Spanish! It is like a little Mexico! I'm really happy about that. I'm still on a bike. My new companion is Elder Samuel Cottrell. He is from Kaysville Utah. He is white haha. We both came out at the same time, but I didn't know him in the MTC. He has been in the English program for almost all of his mission, so he is still learning Spanish. So I get to speak tons of Spanish! And I love it!
So this has been a crazy week! We had to pack all our stuff up and get the apartment ready for sister missionaries to move in. That is why they flushed the area, because they needed to put some sisters in a new area. So we got transfer rides from some members, and we all took off to our new areas. We left a lot of work in Hawthorne, so I spent a lot of time trying to write down everything the Sisters would need to know. I might be going back to Hawthorne this week for a pass-along lesson with a couple investigators who might have a hard time accepting the new missionaries. Sometimes it is hard on investigators when they flush out their missionaries.
I had an awesome experience with the gift of tongues! Last transfer, when I was in the English program, I was sure to study Spanish really hard. I finished the Spanish Book of Mormon just a couple of weeks ago. Then they sent me Spanish speaking again. And guess what?! I feel like I can speak more fluently than when I was in Jefferson Park! It has been pretty awesome! God is a faithful God, and he always increases blessings when we do our part.
Guess what? I ate some menudo the other day! I remember before I came out, that Omar told me not to eat the menudo! But I did it anyway! It is a soup made out of garbanzo beans, animal stomach, and animal intestines! It wasn't too bad. But the texture and the look was nasty. It's not a very nice looking food. But I ate the whole bowl! My companion couldn't handle it. Who's the man? Yo soy el hombre!
My new area is right next to the edge of the mission. Part of my area is the border of the mission. I could ride my bike for probably 5 minutes, and I would be in the Arcadia mission. Don't worry, I won't do that. There are lots of missionaries who have accidentally left the mission before because our boundaries are so small.
The other day we had a big New Years' meeting with some other zones. And guess what? My whole group that flew to L.A. from the MCT was there! So we got a picture together. Elder Fourr is looking fat.
Well family. I love you a lot. It sure was hard to come to a new area so quickly. But the thought of a loving family helped me through it. I always have pictures of Christ and my family above my desk (and one of Joseph Smith too). We are working hard. I miss you a lot. But this is way too worth it to come home.
Hey mom, I used that gift card to buy an overdue rainjacket! I'm really happy to have one now! Thank you a bunch! I know you wanted my to buy something fun, but I think it will be fun to ride a bike with my own rainjacket!
Let me know if there is anything I can do for you! I know with all my heart that this church is true. I'm really grateful that I was raised by PERFECT parents that taught me to hold to the iron rod. I'm really grateful for my awesome grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles, and sisters, and my really cool brother-in-law. You have all helped me a lot. I know by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true.
Love,
Your extremely manly friend,
ELDER R. WATKINS

No comments:

Post a Comment