Monday, May 16, 2011

Transfer 10 is here


As Paul would say: My greetings unto the brethren in the promised dinosaur land. My salutations be unto my father and mother. May thou greet one another with an holy kiss.

This week has been AMAZING! We saw so many blessings! I'm really excited right now, so I'll try to organize my sentences so they make sense. Tuesday night at ten P.M. I found out that I would be staying in my area. Elder Cottrell got sent to Carson to be in an English ward. My new companion is Elder Carver from West Valley City, Utah. He is a great guy. This is his 5th transfer. Then, on Thursday I recieved a phone call from President Baker, telling me that we would be recieving another companion who would be waiting in Los Angeles to get his visa so he could go to Spain. We went up to the mission office on Saturday and picked him up. His name is Elder Garces. He is from Lindon, Utah. He is a Latino! He speaks Spanish pretty well. He was born in the US, so he is trying to brush up on his Spanish before he goes to Spain. We don't know how long it will take for him to get his visa, so we are taking advantage of the time we have now. He is an awesome guy! He really reminds me of Tyler a lot! We get along really well. After we picked him up, we went over to the Visitor's Center.

Once the three of us got back into the area we were on fire! We talked to tons of people, and we ended up having 5 lessons and 5 new investigators at the end of the night! It was a true blessing. I've been amazed at the strength God has given us, and it's amazing to see it take effect on other people.

Some bad news. We taught the law of Tithing to an investigator and it turned out really bad. He just wanted to argue with us. It was a really sad lesson. He thinks that the missionaries just go out to get more money for the church. We explained that nobody is paid in the church, and that the tithing goes to buy things like the Book of Mormon that he had in his hands, and the church that we go to, and the visitors' centers. But he told us he thought he wanted to stop meeting with us at that point. I could tel the spirit had been disrupted, so I was prompted to open up to Alma 7, and read a few verses about the Atonement. Things calmed down, and the spirit flowed more smoothly. We talked a little more, and ended up setting up a return appointment for tonight. Please pray for him. He is going through a really hard time in life. He is having a hard time quitting smoking too.

Good news. We've been trying to contact a recent convert in our area for a few months, but with no success. She was baptized last year, so I had never met her before. I saw her name in the records, and we've been trying ever since. But, as we were riding our bikes down the street on Saturday, I felt prompted to turn on her street and see if she was there. We had tried MANY times before, with zero success. We rode up to their house, and heard some noise out back, so I hollered over the fence and we found her there! We talked to her mom, who hadn't been to church in a while as well, and we set up a return appointment for friday. We are going to take the primary president over for the lesson, because the recent convert girl is in the primary. It was awesome to see the spirit guide us to her home! Or else we may have never found her!

There is a lot I could say, but I'm almost out of time. I love you all and I'm really grateful for your support. I know that this church is true. I know that it has been restored to the earth through a prophet named Joseph Smith. That is really awesome! We have a lot of reason to rejoice! Have a great week!

Love,

Elder Watkins

p.s.-we got the bike thing figured out. we had to get an extra bike for my new companion too. so we have a kitchen full of bikes! and, the new bike i have now is even nicer than the one i had before, and i got it for free from an elder! AWESOME!



No comments:

Post a Comment