Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Big News



This has been one of the most interesting weeks of my whole mission! We worked hard and "M" got baptized!!!! It was a really nice baptism! Elder Reichman performed the ordinance! It was his first baptism! It was really awesome because we street contacted her in Elder Reichman's first week in the field! So we got to see the tasty fruits of our labors! She is doing really really well. She loves the church, and she hasn't missed church since we started teaching her.
Yesterday before church I got a phone call from the assistants to the president. They asked me to go to a meeting at 5pm at a chapel in the middle of the mission. So Elder Reichman hopped on the freeway after the baptism and headed down to see what the meeting was all about. The meeting was composed of a bunch of the missionary leadership and a few future leaders. Then President Baker started telling us about some big changes that would be happening in the mission. We currenty have 7 zones, but the zones have been getting really big because of the increasing amount of companionships in the mission. So as of Wednesday (transfers) there will be two brand new zones, the Griffith zone (which is composed of Hollywood, Downtown, and surrounding areas) and the Athens zone (which is the "ghetto zone", made up of Watts, Compton, Inglewood, Lynwood, and surrounding areas). Then President held a few interviews after the meeting. He assigned me to be a zone leader in the Griffith zone with Elder Jacobberger! I was really excited! Elder Jacobberger has been my zone leader for about 4 months, and now I get to be his companion. That also means that I will be serving in the city of HOLLYWOOD!!! Don't worry, it is still a Spanish area. They have a really good Spanish ward up there, and I'm really excited to go and serve! But that means I will be leaving Jefferson Park...and Elder Reichman will be left to fend for himself and try to find his way around the streets haha! But it sounds like this will be my fate for the rest of my mission. I will most likely spend my last 3 transfers in this area. The area is called "Los Feliz". I'll let you know how it is next week!
I was really grateful to have such a great last week in this area. In total I have spent about a year in this ward! I will miss the people, members, investigators, and the food. But the work will keep moving forward. This area won't be in Griffith zone, so I probably won't be seeing Elder Reichman around very often. But now I will be able to write the recent converts in this area.
I'm really grateful for the Lord's work. I know that this is God's kingdom on earth. I know the Book of Mormon is the word of god, and that this is THE restored church. And most of all, that we can be saved through the atoning sacrifice of our Savior Jesus Christ. That's some pretty good news! I love you all! Have an awesome week!
Elder Watkins

No comments:

Post a Comment