Monday, February 28, 2011

ONE YEAR!




ONE YEAR! Crazy how fast time goes by! This has been the fastest year of my life. Lots of ups and downs, and plenty of hard work. I don't really know how to summarize the past year. I can barely even remember what happened. I'll make an inventory: I'm in my fourth area. I started south of Korea town, in an area called Arlington Heights, and I was there for 1 transfer. While I was there I covered the Wilshire ward in English as well as the Sexto ward in Spanish. My trainer and I were flushed down to an area just south of my first area, and that was when the mission went through the language switch, so I only covered a Spanish ward, which was still the Sexto ward. I stayed there (Jefferson Park) for 4 transfers, during which time I had two more companions. My last transfer there I was made a senior companion. While in the Sexto ward we had a lot of success, and it was an exciting/busy time of my mission. For my 6th transfer I was sent down south of Iglewood in an area called Hawthorne. While there I covered the Centinella 1st and 2nd wards, which were English and Tongan respectively. I was the breaker for a fairly new missionary, and in our 3rd week we got another companion who was waiting for a visa to go to Brasil. I was only there for 1 transfer, then I was kicked out to the border of the mission, nearby Compton and Watts, in an area called North Lynwood. I'm in my second transfer in this area, and we cover the South Gate 2nd ward, which is a Spanish ward. Sadly, I haven't seen any baptisms since I was in Jefferson Park, but we continue to work very hard. It totals up to 6 companions, 5 wards (in 3 different languages), and 4 areas, and millions of blessings! What a year!

Welp, I hope that didn't bore you to death! It has been a busy year. Now let's get to the nitty gritty: North Lynwood has seen a ton of blessings lately! We set 2 baptismal dates!!!! We met with 2 people, who have been going to the Inglewood 2nd ward for awhile, but then the guy that took them over there decided to come to his proper ward, and that is where we met They live right in the middle of our area. They are from El Salvador, and they are really humble people. They have one daughter who is 6 years old, and they have been prepared to receive the gospel! We had a nice lesson with them on Saturday, and we set a baptismal date for the 13th of March. They weren't able to come to church yesterday because Jose and their daughter got sick, so we might push the baptismal date back. They really want to know the truth, so please pray for them!

Guess what? I got sick again! I don't know where it is coming from. I've never been such a sick person before. It makes the work a little harder to do, but it doesn't stop it! Hey mom, you should send that motab cd! It is allowed if it is "consistent with the sacred spirit of (my) calling". That's what the white handbook says. Guess what! We have an elder from Spain in our district now! He has a funny accent. Guess what else! I get to be on my mission for 2 years and 5 days. I will come home a year from tomorrow! crazy! I hear that the second year goes by even faster than the first.

I want you to know that I am working really hard, and that I love you a lot! It's a hand to hand combat with satan here in Los Angeles, but with the Lord on our side, anything is possible. Hey mom, if you have any more pages of grandpa Ross's mission journal, I think I would like that in the package if that is possible. I love you all a whole bunch and I'm really grateful for all the blessings God gives us. Good luck to grandma and grandpa on the other side of the U.S.! I know this is God's work, and I could never deny it.

Love,

Elder Ross Watkins




No comments:

Post a Comment